As has been shown in numerous studies of consumerism, storage unit facilities and self storage rentals are on the rise. The number of people utilizing such facilities is higher than it ever has been before. Part of this is due to the fact that people have more stuff than they can keep in their homes, and part of it is due to the fact that many people, after spending money on an item, find it difficult to donate it or give it away. The rise in the industry has led to an incredible explosion in the number of facilities that can be found across the country. By some estimates, there are thousands of self storage facilities all across the country. For consumers, this makes it incredibly difficult to know which facility offers the best services at the most affordable rates. To help people determine which facility in their area is better than the others, here is a list of five key qualities all self storage facilities share.
1. Dedication to security. The main reason people end up putting things in storage is that they don’t want to throw the items away. To the contrary, they plan on keeping the items for many more years. Since people care about the items they are storing, they should absolutely only choose facilities that are dedicated to security. To put it simply, the items that people store should be stored in a way that will prevent them from being damaged or stolen. This means that the facility should have gated entrances, coded entrances, 24-hour surveillance, and strong locks.
2. Variety of units. Different types of items need to be stored in different types of conditions. Books and electronics should be stored in units that are climate controlled, so that they aren’t damaged by extreme temperatures or humidity. On the contrary, other types of items can be stored in outside units.
3. Knowledgeable staff. Sometimes, things come up when a person is storing items. When a consumer has questions about how they should be storing particular things, they need a knowledgeable person from the facility to be able to help them. Thus, it is crucial that people only work with companies that have staff that understand the various aspects of storage.
4. Numerous moving supplies. Often, people don’t know that they need a particular item until they are already at the unit. Maybe they realize that they can’t get the couch into the elevator without a hand truck, or maybe they realize that they need an extra box and a couple of markers. It is great when the facility a person is renting from has these supplies on hand.
5. Competitive costs. Although different units will cost different amounts of money, there is no need for people to pay a lot just for the sake of it. Rather, shop around and make sure that the prices at a particular facility are competitive with others in the area.
Storage Direct, a self storage rental facility, is one great company that easily meets all five of these criteria.