Mommy and me classes have many benefits that both baby and mom will benefit from, here are just a few:
- Socialization for baby (and mommy). Mommy and Me classes are a great
opportunity for your baby to interact with other babies. This can also foster better social skills in children because it allows them to experience how other people, both adult and baby sized, will react to different behaviors of theirs. This is vital for them because eventually they will be in daycare or preschool where they will have to be able to interact with their teacher and school mates without their parent being present at all times.
- Meet other moms. This is also a great way for you to meet other moms of young babies and compare notes. There are few people that understand all of the unique challenges that come with having a newborn better than another mother of a newborn.
- Encourages bonding between mommy and baby. The time that you spend at Mommy and Me is special time that is set aside for just you and your baby. There are no chores or errands to run, so meals to make, no baths to give. This is time that is just for you to spend with your baby, which will increase the closeness that you already have with your baby in a relaxing and fun environment.
- Battle post partum depression – one of the best ways to help get over the hump of post partum depression is to get out and interact with other new moms and do something fun. Sometimes a little fresh air, and a reason to get out of your pajamas can be helpful, and adding a routine back into your life can also be a good thing. There is no magic cure for post partum depression, but spending time in a fun atmosphere with your little one is a great way to start!
- Enhances motor skills and muscle development – When you attend a Mommy and Me class, both you and your baby are getting some exercise too. There are many different types of activities that can be done, such as swimming, yoga, or gymnastics that are good for you, but also vital to the development of your baby’s motor skills and muscle development. All of these activities will help your little one’s muscles continue to develop and grow.
- Encouraged Cognitive development – these classes are a great way to improve your child’s reasoning skills. They are exposed to many different types of sensory experiences during Mommy and Me that their little brains will soak up like a sponge.
- Increased confidence for baby and mommy. The classes at mommy and me are structured so that your baby can complete activities that give them a feeling of success. This increases their confidence in tackling new obstacles (both in the kids classes as well as in real life.) They also experience increased confidence with social interactions with other children. This helps them to get over shyness and make new friends.