All kinds of surgeries can take their toll on your body, requiring you to take some time off. For spine surgery or back pain surgery, this is especially true, since you will be limited when it comes to movement. If you are someone who is about to go through surgery, or who has already done so and wants to find some fun things to do while following doctor’s orders and staying in bed, we have a number of different suggestions.
- Music: Search for new music on the internet. There are many sites online that you can use to search for new band you will enjoy. Try Spotify or Pandora radio to get started.
- Movies: If you have always wanted to see a particular movie, why not watch it now? Since you are likely to be on pain medication, consider that you may have a hard time focusing, so choose easier movies or some that have slower-paced plots. You could also start watching a series that you have been meaning to watch but have not found the time until now to do so. Join a streaming site like Hulu or Netflix to have access to lots of options.
- Play Board Games: If you have someone to watch over you as you recover from spine surgery, you can spend time playing classic board games. Choose games where you do not have to move too much. Or you can buy a jigsaw puzzle. This can be a great way of spending time.
- Crafts: Have you always wanted to learn to knit or sew? Try it! This can be relaxing and it does not take too much concentration, so you do not have to worry about doing it while on pain medication. Stay away from some of the more taxing crafts, however, since you want to move as little as possible as you recover.
- Join a Forum: If you want to know more about the recovery process and want to hear experiences from people who have gone through the same type of surgery, sign up online for forums that deal with back pain surgery. These are usually free and offer a wealth of knowledge and experience.
- Meditate: This is a great time to learn to meditate. It will not only help you through the recovery process but it will also provide you with a stress-coping mechanism for the future. Meditating can truly make a difference in how you feel and how quickly you recover.
Recovering from spine surgery does not mean you have to spend days bored in bed. There are countless activities you can try which do not require any movement or any stress. Play cards or read a book to relax, but remember that your mind will be a bit foggy from the pain medication you doctor will give you. It is important to have someone with you as you recover to make sure you do not hurt yourself or become depressed. Once you have recovered a bit, get some sun and fresh air outside.